Like many non-profit, safety-net providers, Hudson Headwaters relies upon the 340B Prescription Drug Program to offset the costs of providing high-quality healthcare to everyone who needs it.
Enacted by Congress in 1992, this program allows organizations like Hudson Headwaters to buy prescription drugs at significantly reduced prices. When 340B-discounted drugs are prescribed to eligible patients of Hudson Headwaters, the Network is allowed to keep the difference between the discounted purchase price and the reimbursement rate
Hudson Headwaters and other federally-qualified health centers in New York use these savings to help low-income, uninsured, or underinsured patients afford their medication and provide more comprehensive healthcare services to the communities we serve, including:
- Supporting core programs and services consistent with our mission, such as dental care, patient and student education, home-based care, obstetrics and gynecology, palliative care, and phlebotomy.
- Offering medication discounts and other financial assistance programs for patients living at or below 200% of the federal poverty level.
- Address social determinants such as food, housing, transportation and other issues that significantly impact health.
- Fund infrastructure improvements and renovation of facilities.
- Expand services into underserved communities that otherwise have limited access to care.
Unfortunately, the 340B program is currently under attack at the state and federal level. Many wealthy drug manufacturers also refuse to provide 340B discounts to community health centers that contract with private pharmacies, while demanding access to your private information.
These threats will cost Hudson Headwaters millions of dollars annually. Community health centers across the US will have to make devastating cuts to critical programs to remain solvent.
We need your help.
Call your representatives in the New York State Assembly and Senate and ask them to support Assembly Bill A10960 (Gottfried) and Senate Bill S8948 (Rivera). These bills would delay Governor Cuomo’s plan to siphon the Medicaid pharmacy benefit from community health centers.
Call your representatives in the US House of Representatives and Senate and ask them to support legislation giving the federal Health Resources and Services Administration the authority to force drug manufacturers to provide legally-mandated 340B discounts to community health centers.
Tweet/post on Social Media using #ValueCHCs and tag your Members of Congress.